This recipe is a healthier, equally-as-satisfying version of my favourite take-out:
2 cups cooked brown rice (I use soup stock instead of plain water, but you can do what you like)
1 cup cooked black beans
2 avocados, smashed
12 slices Henry’s tempeh
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 diced tomato
1 sweet onion
1 red onion
2 sweet peppers (pick your favourite colour–I chose orange)
1 cup grated Daiya grated cheddar/cheddar/pepper jack cheese
2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 pinch crushed red chili flakes
Chipotle peppers, diced (as many as you like, or none)
Large tortilla wraps (I use flax/ancient grain)
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat pan on med-high heat, add olive oil.
2. Add onions, chipotle peppers, and spices; stir occasionally; cook until onions are translucent.
3. Add sweet peppers and tempeh strips to pan. Stir.
4. Turn down heat to low. Cook for about 5 minutes or until peppers reach desired doneness.
Building the Perfect Burrito
Layer 1: Tortilla. Obviously, but make sure your tortilla is fresh and pliable. Sometimes it helps to heat them up a touch.
Layer 2: Smashed avocados. These will not only give you a dose of healthy fats, they will hold your cheese in place–let’s get our priorities straight. Put them in the centre of the tortilla.
Layer 3: Cheese/Cheese-like product. Place in the middle of the tortilla, atop the avocado.
Layer 4: Rice. Hot rice + Cheese = gooey deliciousness.
Layer 5: Beans. Not only are they the magical fruit (according to my dad), but they are full of protein, fibre, and other good-for-you nutrients.
Layer 6: Place tempeh, onions, and peppers on top of beans. I like to try and get an even distribution, so each bite will have a little bit of each ingredient…but that’s kind of crazy.
Layer 7: Shredded lettuce.
Layer 8: Diced tomato.
Layer 9: Cilantro.
Layer 10: Sriracha. A lot. (But I’m saucy like that, you can mellow it out by doing something cooler, like tziki sauce or a low-fat Catalina dressing.)
Wrapping It Up
I found a quaint video to show you how to wrap a burrito like a pro:
- Meatless Monday: Tortilla Casserole (centerforlivingpeace.wordpress.com)
- Grilled Chicken & Roasted Butternut Lettuce Wraps (theculturedcavewoman.com)
- Enchiladas (pmetro.wordpress.com)